Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Top 5 Reasons Why Growing your Food Rocks

Gardening: Who knew it had so many positive Benefits

Change your life, Save your life through Gardening

Gardening, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Starting seeds, building planters, raising plants, protecting plants from pests, and watering the vegetables takes effect, but nothing worth doing is really ever effortless. My vegetable garden has become my sanctuary a place to escape to when I feel confined indoors. Watching the plants get bigger, flower, and produce vegetables is so rewarding. I did not start out, thinking, I am going to start a vegetable garden. One plant led to another and before I knew it, I was obsessed with starting seeds, researching what to grow, and transferring plants into larger pots to provide enough room for their roots. It takes some time to get your garden established, but once it starts producing it is so exciting to be eating food you grew yourself. I love telling my boyfriend, "the eggplant is from my garden." Below is the Top 5 Reasons why Growing your Food Rocks!

1. You know what is being put into/onto your Vegetables

Since the whole organic food movement swept the nation, there are article after article about what pesticides are doing to your health, so health conscious people started buying organic. Yet, even buying "organic" fruits and veggies from the store is somewhat misleading. There may still be chemicals on the fruits and veggies to detract pests, just not the special supper harmful chemicals reserved for non-organic vegetables. I also wondering, why dole produces organic and non-organic produce, why wouldn't they just grow all of their vegetables organically? Supermarket organic products seem more like a marketing ploy, than really healthy chemical free food. When you grow your own food, you are in control of the soil, nutrient, and pest detergents.





2. You're helping the Environment

When your food needs to be flown half way around the world it takes it's toll on the environment. By buying local and growing your food, you can help reduce your carbon footprint. Now that's something to feel good about. The environment you live in will dictate what you can grow. It is true that some locations have better growing conditions than others. Yet, I believe what you are able to grow in your area, is what your body needs to help you survive in that area.

3. Survivalism: Preparing for a Post Apocalyptic World

Imagine a world where nothing is organized, nothing is available, and you are left to fend for yourself. You will be ahead of all those who did not learn to grown their own food when conditions were peaceful and now considered utopic. Your hard work, good looks, charisma, and green thumb may help promote to the leader of a group rugged survivalists, the only people not starving to death.



4. Exercise disguised as Fun!

Some people do love getting up and running for miles, then starting their day, not me. I tend to fit my exercise into every day activities that I enjoy: swimming in the river, hiking to new exotic locations, biking instead of driving, and gardening. Face it, the less time you spend indoors on the couch the more exercise you will be getting, which leads to a happier, healthier, sexier body.




5. Definitely increases Overall Happiness

If you are depressed or just need more happiness in your life a garden will give you an excess dose of joy. You will now have a reason to get out of bed, something to do, and something to look forward to. You're garden needs you. Feeling needed and wanted will make anyone feel better about themselves. Related to the previous benefit, you will be getting more exercise. Exercise is the number one way to beat the blues.



So, Garden for your health. Garden for your Happiness. Garden for the Environment. Garden because your skills may someday save your life!

5 comments:

  1. I recently found the joy of organic home grown food. My soul delighteth in the garden I grew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently found the joy of organic home grown food. My soul delighteth in the garden I grew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a lot of benefits obtained with the practice of gardening, it is also important to talk about the so called Horticola Therapy, whose main purpose is to improve the quality of life and the physical and cognitive abilities of the person, through the planting of fruits, vegetables, flowers and plants. Studies show that those who have dementia and anxiety find in the garden the power to calm their nerves and improve the quality of their rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOURDES S FERREIROJune 29, 2019 at 9:30 AM

    I recently picked a huge Zucchini from my garden and spiralized it. I got some tomatoes from my plant and made a fresh tomato sauce and served it over the zucchini. It was delicious! I got the gardening bug this year and will keep gardening forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you've thought you were doing the proper things to be healthy & avoid weight gain, but your out-dated health & nutrition approach is wreaking havoc on your health! Efficient & effective nutrition approach frees you of physical food addictions, balances hormone disruptions, and allows your body to return to great health & a natural weight with ease & abundance, vs. harmful diets & starvation! chinese food for diabetics

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...